Environment for the Mind
Getting outside and experiencing nature is good for the mind. Explore the many opportunities for this at UCLA.
- Explore the UCLA Mathias Botanical Gardens.
- If you are interested in growing your own food, or just want to spend an hour gardening to relax, check out the new jane b. semel HCI Community Garden and Dig UCLA Gardening
- Have you always wanted to camp at Joshua Tree, or backpack through Yosemite? UCLA Outdoor Adventures can take you on an adventure.
- The Murphy Sculpture Garden at UCLA offers a respite from the hustle of everyday life.
- Attend a MARC online weekend meditation retreat or a daylong retreat to cultivate mindfulness practices.
Arts for Wellness
Getting creative and exploring the arts is good for the mind and soul. Check out these fantastic Arts for Wellness resources at UCLA.
- Arts & Mind-Body Wellness
- UCLA Arts and Healing: See how the arts are being used for mind-body wellness and empowerment in the community, the scientific literature, and more.
- Art in Action: free art-making activities, workshops, lectures, master classes, films, symposia and collaborations with other cultural organizations.
- UCLA Recreation Instructional Classes include an extensive lineup of arts and dance programs.
- UCLA Art & Global Health Center: Connect with a global network of artists and advocates working in the realm of public health.
- Hammer Museum: The Hammer has a mix of permanent galleries and temporary installations and offers free admission for everyone.
- Fowler Museum: investigate past and present global arts and cultures at the Fowler Museum through its online publications, collections, research, and more.
- Seasonal Guide to the Arts at UCLA: Your guide to UCLA Arts.
- UCLA Film and Television Archive: The UCLA Film and Television Archive has research copies of many titles, with particular strength in Hollywood film. The catalog is also distinct and can be accessed via the Archive’s homepage.
- Mindful Music: Take a break, grab lunch, commune, refresh your mind with Mindful Music
- Arts Library: The Arts Library has more than 300,000 books in the fields of architecture, architectural history, art, art history, design, film, television, photography as art, theater, and allied disciplines.
- Campus Events Commission: Since 1965 Campus Events Commission (CEC) has been one of the largest purveyors of campus entertainment. Since its inception, it has acquired a reputation for its edgy style of advertising and controversial events. CEC has been responsible for hosting the Jack Benny and Spencer Tracy Award shows, and for holding the renowned Shorttakes Student Film Festival.
- Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA: Contemporary performing arts in all disciplines.
- Artist Lecture Series from UCLA Arts and Architecture and Exhibition schedule. Subscribe to UCLA Arts and Architecture e-blast.
Stop, breathe, observe, and connect with one’s inner self with our friends in The Mindful Awareness Research Center.
- Mindful Awareness Research Center (MARC): brings the ancient art of mindful awareness to UCLA. Check out the schedule and registration for classes suitable for new and experienced students.
- Subscribe to the MARC Newsletter for the latest information about classes and events.
- UCLA Mindful is an easy-to-use app, you can practice mindfulness meditation anywhere, anytime in English and 14 additional languages.
- Or download podcasts to your computer for mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own.
- Free Mindfulness Meditation Drop-in Sessions: These bi-weekly 30-minute sessions are open to all, including beginners.
- The RISE Center is an initiative that promotes resilience, well-being, compassion, and connection on campus through mindfulness-related programming and events.
Enhance wellness with the help of mindful movement!
- Check out the extensive offering of yoga classes through UCLA Recreation including free drop-in yoga on Fridays!
- A 12-week hands-on mindful movement and meditation course that teaches several effective stress-management tools.
Gratitude Revealed Challenge